Look no further than this farm craft for the perfect addition to a farm theme unit. Add on some farm animals to make the barn come to life!
Construction Paper Crafts
A simple pack of construction paper can be used in many different ways.
The versatility of it makes it the perfect addition to any preschool classroom.
There is no lack of ideas on our blog (and many others) of things to do with construction paper.
Because there are many different sheets of the same paper, it’s low stakes if something inevitably goes wrong.
Another sheet of construction paper can be pulled out, and all will be right again in the preschooler’s world.
Low stakes don’t mean low educational value, though.
Shapes, colors, scissors skills, fine motor skills, and gluing are all worked on during this farm craft (and most other construction paper crafts).
This article may contain affiliate links to products that may help you when homeschooling preschool.
Items Needed for Build a Barn Craft
- construction paper (red, white, black, green)
How to Make a Build a Barn Farm Craft
1. Cut a large pentagon (5-sided figure) out of red paper for the barn. The easiest way to do this is to fold the red paper in half hamburger style lightly. Parallel to the fold, draw a line up for the side of the barn. Then, draw a diagonal line to the fold to create the roof. Cut it out and unfold it to reveal a pentagon.
This may be the hardest part of the farm craft. 😉
2. Cut out thin black strips slightly longer than the barn’s roof.
3. Create two squares with the centers cut out using white paper. One square should be large for the door and one smaller for the window.
To do this, cut out a white square. Lightly fold the square in half and cut out half of a square (because you have it folded in half). You should be cutting the fold and cutting the same way as the outside sides of the white square, leaving a thin border of white.
4. Cut out thin strips of white paper to make the X on the door and window.
5. Glue the thin strips from corner to corner diagonally across the center of the white square, creating an X.
Repeat with the other square to make this farm craft.
6. Trim off any extra white strips.
7. Attach the black strips to the diagonal edges of the barn (the red pentagon) to create the roof.
8. Glue the larger white square to make the barn door in the center of the barn. Add the smaller square with the X above the door near the top of the barn.
9. OPTIONAL: Glue the barn onto a piece of white paper. Add strips of green construction paper to make grass.
10. OPTIONAL: Take it to the next level and add different construction paper animals to the farm craft barn. Some could even be peeking out the top window!
Other Farm Unit Resources
Elevate your farm unit with this easy farm craft.
Customize it to be as difficult for your preschooler as you see fit.
Changing what is already cut out for her is a great way to meet her needs easily.