Make a first day of preschool shirt with your preschooler to always remember how small his hands were when he started school. It’s fun, too!
First Day of Preschool
There are many emotions when it comes time for little ones to start school. How did they get this old already?
It seems to fly by when looking back, but in the day-to-day, it can seem like it is taking forever for them to be a little bit more self-sufficient.
The first day of preschool is one that you’ll want to bottle up and keep forever.
This article may contain affiliate links to products that may help you when homeschooling preschool.
By making a 1st day of preschool shirt with your preschooler’s handprints, you will always have something to show how small they were on their first day of school.
This may be just the thing to pull out at high school graduation to remember the first day of preschool.
Creating these first day of preschool shirts is a memory in itself and is sure to be one that you will recall every time you look at the shirt.
If you are looking for other things to do on the first day of preschool, check out this post for activities and this post for a first day of preschool craft that doesn’t require a shirt or special paint.
What You Will Need to Make a First Day of Preschool Shirt
– white T-shirt (prewashed, if possible)
-a piece of cardboard (to put inside the shirt)
-bowl (or something circular)
How to Make a First Day of Preschool Shirt
1. Prewash the shirt. Most fabric paints suggest this so the paint sticks better, and so the shirt doesn’t shrink after it is painted.
2. Put the cardboard between the two layers of the shirt. This will prevent the paint and marker from leaking through to the other side of the shirt.
3. Set the bowl upside down in the middle of the shirt. The bowl should cover the middle of the shirt but still have room to place handprints around the edges of it.
The most challenging part of this first day of preschool shirt craft may be finding a bowl that isn’t too big.
4. Lightly trace the bowl onto the shirt with a pencil, then remove the bowl.
5. Decide with your preschooler what color(s) to use on your first day of preschool shirt.
6. Paint the preschooler’s palm and fingers. Make sure there isn’t too much paint on the hand.
7. Line up the bottom of the palm to the pencil circle drawn on the shirt. Work quickly to place the painted hand onto the shirt.
8. Slowly pull the hand up.
9. If changing colors, rinse off the paint.
10. Repeat steps six through nine until hand prints are around the whole circle. Turn the shirt as you work around the ring to make it easier to place the little hands on the shirt.
11. Let handprints dry.
12. Write “First Day of Preschool” and the current year using the paint marker.
13. Allow to dry.
14. Take pictures to remember what your little one looked like in the first day of preschool shirt.
1st Day of Preschool Shirt Craft
Make a 1st day of preschool shirt so the first day of preschool is unforgettable. Kids will love decorating their own shirts and proudly wearing them around.