Send a hug for Grandparents Day with this easy Grandparents Day craft. Made with paper and markers, it’s quick and simple.
What Is Grandparents Day?
Grandparents Day is a day to celebrate the bond between grandparents and grandchildren.
It is celebrated the first Sunday in September after Labor Day.
This article may contain affiliate links to products that may help you when homeschooling preschool.
How to Celebrate Grandparents Day?
There are many ways to celebrate Grandparents Day. From a special lunch in their honor to activities completed together, anything that involves taking the time to make the grandparents (and grandchildren) feel loved will be memorable.
You’re little one may want to make this paper hug card look like herself. Let her! It’s her card to take ownership over.
You can add the words to the card’s front or back.
Items Needed for Grandparents Day Craft
- Roll of paper (or copy paper and tape)
- Markers (or crayons)
- Stickers, optional
Steps to Make a Paper Hug Card
Starting the Grandparents Day Craft Card
1. If using paper and tape, tape together multiple sheets of paper end to end. It must be long enough to fit your little one’s head and outstretched arms on it.
If one row isn’t tall enough to fit the arms and the head, tape more paper on a second row where the head is.
2. Roll out the paper (or place the paper on the floor) long enough for the whole arm span of your little one to be included.
3. Have your little one lie down so her head and arms are on the paper.
Prompting to “spread your fingers wide” may be necessary to make the next part easier.
4. Trace around her head and arms using a pencil.
1. Choose what to write on your Grandparents Day Craft card. Things like “I miss you!” or “I love you this much!” These will be written on the arms and head part of your hug.
2. If your preschooler is up to it, dot out the letters and let her trace the letters to make the words.
This may be overwhelming to some kids and make them shut down. Simply write it out for them if this is the case. No use dealing with another meltdown 😉
3. Explain to your little one that the hug will be cut out.
4. Have her decorate the inside of the hug. You can put stickers on this Grandparents Day craft or use coloring tools like markers.
Turning it into a Grandparents Day Craft Card
1. Cut out the hug. This is done after decorating to minimize the number of markers on the table, chairs, or floor.
If your little one is distraught if some of the colors are cut off, you may want to cut it out before decorating.
2. Fold the arms and head in half so the hands line up.
If it is crooked because of the tracing, that’s fine!
3. See if the markers bled through the paper. If so, no problem!
Cut out a heart from the scrap paper that was cut off.
4. Write “Happy Grandparents Day!” or something similar and attach it to the front of the card.
5. Adding your little one’s name and age to the card is a great way to remember her age when the card was made.
6. Give it to your loved ones on Grandparents Day.
Grandparents Day Craft
This simple Grandparents Day Craft is perfect because it is a craft for your little one and a cute memory item for the grandparents. Who knew making such a meaningful gift could happen with such simple items?!